What is Makefree May?
Makefree May is an invitation to go makeup free to raise money for the Human Kind Project, educating and empowering women and transforming lives and communities around the world.
Why makeup? Who cares? And what has it got to do with empowering and educating women and transforming lives?
It’s not just about makeup, which is so normal in our culture, and for many of us simply a form of self-expression.
It’s about freedom.
The freedom to choose, the freedom to question, and a chance to express gratitude for these freedoms we’re afforded, by supporting those who have less.
By going bare, just for a month, we give ourselves a chance to connect with and love our raw, natural selves in all our glorious diversity and imperfection, and we get to show our girls that we are each of us enough, whatever we choose.
Because for some of us, and increasingly for girls growing up exposed to so many expectations of “beauty”, we feel pressure to change the way we look.
This an opportunity to remind our girls that who we are and what we do with our lives is what makes us beautiful.
This isn’t a war on makeup, it’s just a break. To see if we feel differently about the face we were born with. And to take a moment to forgo something that isn’t as necessary as it perhaps feels, to offer something very necessary and life-changing to another.
Together we will support each other, step by step. Share our experiences, and maybe change our world. Open our hearts and raise money for the women seeking to change theirs.
To find out more, click here: https://www.makefreemay.org
ABOUT THE HUMAN KIND PROJECT
Founded in 2015 by entrepreneur Jacinta McDonell, the Human Kind Project helps transform lives and communities around the world through vital education, health and microfinance initiatives to empower women.
Working with some of the most impactful, grass roots not for profit organisations in the world, Human Kind Project has joined in support of the 193 world leaders committed to ending extreme poverty, fighting inequality and injustice and ending world hunger by 2030.
- Goal #1: NO POVERTY – End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Goal #2: NO HUNGER – End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal #3: GOOD HEALTH & WELLBEING – Ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages
- Goal #4: QUALITY EDUCATION – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal #5: GENDER EQUALITY – Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal #6: CLEAN WATER & SANITATION – Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
Human Kind Projects include:
- Saving mothers and babies:
In Sub-Saharan Africa alone, 162,000 women die every year from complications from pregnancy, labour and delivery and many mothers have to walk 25 kilometres or more to reach a safe place to give birth. We can change this.
- Girl’s Education:
This project enables poor girls in rural villages of India to break the poverty cycle through education.
This project enables the poorest of the poor to create and grow small businesses so they can build a financially sustainable future.
How can your donation help?
- $25 could teach a woman to read and write, opening their world up to gender equality and basic human rights
- $50 could train 40 mothers in locally available, sustainable nutrition for themselves and their children, life-saving antenatal care, and the importance of breastfeeding
- $120 could train one volunteer leader in Africa to teach their community members to plan and build a profitable local business, so they can earn an income and feed their families
- $250 could fund 4 women with microfinance loans to start or grow their own local businesses to support their families and transform their lives and communities forever
Find out more about the Human Kind Project: https://humankindproject.org.au/#projects